Vomiting, also called emesis, is a very common symptom. It is often related to nausea and commonly caused by a digestive disorder such as infectious gastroenteritis. Vomiting needs to be distinguished from regurgitation, reflux, and other similar symptoms.
There are various causes of vomiting that need to be diagnosed; see
... More on Vomiting »
• • •
Vomiting often occurs with nausea, and many of the causes of vomiting also cause “nausea and vomiting”. However, note that both “nausea-without-vomiting” and “vomiting-without-nausea” are possible.
Example Common Causes: Common well-known causes of vomiting include
... More Causes of Vomiting »
Causes of Vomiting
Causes of vomiting
- Virus or bacterial infection
- Food poisoning
- A reaction to medicines
- Eating or drinking something poisonous
- A problem in your bowel, like a blockage
Causes List for Vomiting
Possible causes of Vomiting (or similar symptoms) may include:3
- AA amyloidosis (Vomiting)
- AIDS (vomiting)
- ALG11-CDG syndrome (Vomiting)
- ALG3-CDG syndrome (Vomiting)
- ATR-X syndrome (Nausea and vomiting)
- Aagenaes syndrome (Nausea and vomiting)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm (vomiting)
- Abdominal adhesions (Vomiting)
- Abdominal cancer (Vomiting)
- Abrin Poisoning (vomiting)
- Abscess (vomiting)
- Abstinence syndrome ...
Is it vomiting? Or are you just feeling nauseous? Regurgitation and reflux are similar to vomiting. Consider whether any of these other symptoms are a more precise description of your symptom, or are perhaps co-occurring with vomiting:More Similar Symptoms for Vomiting »
Various different types of vomiting include:
- Acute vomiting
- Chronic vomiting
- Cyclic vomiting
Symptoms that are like types of vomiting include:
- Reflux (e.g. acid reflux, GERD, esophagitis)
- Regurgitation (e.g. gastric obstruction, gastric motility disorders)
- Nausea (nausea and vomiting) ...
Treatments for Vomiting
Self care -general Most episodes of vomiting won’t last long. Some painkillers (called NSAID, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, diclofenac) will irritate your stomach and intestines, so don’t take these when you’re vomiting.
- You can buy sachets from ...
There are many possible causes of vomiting so there is some likelihood of misdiagnosis of any of the less frequent causes. Some of the more serious possible causes that may be overlooked include:Misdiagnosis of Vomiting »
• • •
- Source: New Zealand Health: health.govt.nz/ your-health/ conditions-and-treatments/ diseases-and-illnesses
- Source: New Zealand Health: health.govt.nz/ your-health/ conditions-and-treatments/ diseases-and-illnesses/ vomiting
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.