Intellectual disability, also known as mental retardation, is a term used when there are limits to a personís ability to learn at an expected level and function in daily life. Levels of intellectual disability vary greatly in children - from a very slight problem to a very severe problem. Children
... More on Intellectual disability »
Causes of intellectual disability include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Birth asphyxia
- Down syndrome (Trisomy 21)
- Chromosomal disorders
- Phenylketonuria (PKU)
- Klinefelter syndrome
- Turner syndrome (XO syndrome)
- Laurence-Moon-Biedl syndrome
- Hurler disease
- Gaucher disease
- Sturge-Weber syndrome ...
Differential Diagnosis of Intellectual disability
Selective mutism: A person with selective mutism will often have other fears and social anxieties, and they may also have additional speech and language difficulties in childhood.
They're often wary of doing anything that draws attention to them because
... Diagnosis of Intellectual disability »
Causes List for Intellectual disability
Possible causes of Intellectual disability (or similar symptoms) may include:3
- ADNP syndrome (Intellectual disability)
- AICAR transformylase/IMP cyclohydrolase deficiency (Intellectual disability)
- ALG1-congenital disorder of glycosylation (intellectual disability)
- ALG12-congenital disorder of glycosylation (intellectual disability)
- ALG2-CDG syndrome (Intellectual disability)
- ATR-X syndrome (Cognitive delay, Intellectual disability)
- Aarskog syndrome (Intellectual ...
• • •
- Source: CDC NCBDDD: cdc.gov/ ncbddd/ actearly/ pdf/ parents_pdfs/ IntellectualDisability.pdf
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ selective-mutism/
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.