Heart failure happens when the heart cannot pump enough blood and oxygen to support other organs in your body. Heart failure is a serious condition, but it does not mean that the heart has stopped beating.
Early diagnosis and treatment can improve quality and length of life for people who
... More on Cardiac failure »
Causes of Cardiac failure
The leading causes of heart failure are diseases that damage the heart. Examples include coronary heart disease (CHD), high blood pressure, and diabetes.
...Source: NHLBI (NIH)2
... More Causes of Cardiac failure »
Diagnosis of Cardiac failure
How Is Heart Failure Diagnosed?
Your doctor will diagnose heart failure based on your medical and family histories, a physical exam, and test results. The signs and symptoms of heart failure also are common in other conditions. Thus, your doctor
... Diagnosis of Cardiac failure »
Causes List for Cardiac failure
Possible causes of Cardiac failure (or similar symptoms) may include:4
- Ataxia (cardiac failure)
- Colchicine poisoning (cardiac failure)
- Cri-du-chat syndrome (cardiac failure)
- Friedreich ataxia (cardiac failure)
- Glycogen storage disease type 2 (cardiac failure, progressive cardiac failure)
- Intravenous leiomyomatosis (cardiac failure)
- Streptococcal toxic shock syndrome (cardiac failure)
Clinical Features of Cardiac failure
Fatigue and shortness of breath are common symptoms of heart failure. A buildup of fluid in the lungs causes these symptoms. Fluid also can build up in the feet, ankles, and legs, causing weight gain.
...Source: NHLBI (NIH)5
... Clinical Features of Cardiac failure »
Treatments for Cardiac failure
Lifestyle changes, medicines, and procedures or surgery (rarely, a mechanical heart pump or heart transplant) are the main treatments for heart failure.
...Source: NHLBI (NIH)6
... Treatment for Cardiac failure »
Prevention of Cardiac failure
How Can Heart Failure Be Prevented?
You can take steps to prevent heart failure. The sooner you start, the better your chances of preventing or delaying the condition.
For People Who Have Healthy Hearts
If you have a healthy heart
... Prevention of Cardiac failure »
• • •
- Source: CDC DHDSP: cdc.gov/ dhdsp/ data_statistics/ fact_sheets/ fs_heart_failure.htm
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ hf
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ hf/ diagnosis
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ af/ signs
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ hf/ prevention
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.