Breathlessness or difficulty breathing is always a symptom of concern. There are many life-threatening possible causes: pneumonia, asthma attack, airway blockage (choking), heart attack, and many others. Other causes include severe emotional stress or panic attack (anxiety attack).
Breathlessness can be normal, such as after heavy exercise or increased
... More on Breathlessness »
Causes of Breathlessness
Causes of shortness of breath
Shortness of breath has lots of different causes.
Common causes include a cold or chest infection, being overweight, and smoking. It can also be a sign of a panic attack.
But sometimes it could be
... More Causes of Breathlessness »
Diagnosis of Breathlessness
Call 999 if you're struggling to breathe or have sudden shortness of breath and:
- your chest feels tight or heavy
- you have pain that spreads to your arms, back, neck and jaw
- you feel or are being sick
... Diagnosis of Breathlessness »
Causes List for Breathlessness
Possible causes of Breathlessness (or similar symptoms) may include:3
- Abdominal wall defect (respiratory insufficiency)
- Acetylcholine receptor deficiency (Respiratory insufficiency)
- Achondrogenesis type 1B (Respiratory insufficiency)
- Achondrogenesis, type IB (Respiratory insufficiency)
- Achondrogenesis (Respiratory insufficiency)
- Acute Kidney Failure (breathlessness)
- Acute carbon monoxide poisoning (breathlessness)
- Acute kidney damage (breathlessness)
- Adducted thumbs (Respiratory insufficiency) ...
• • •
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ shortness-of-breath/
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.