A barking cough is a particular type of dry cough, which sounds like a dog barking. Many different causes of cough can actually cause a barking cough, but some are more common causes of this type of cough (e.g. croup). Whooping cough (pertussis) is well-known for causing a
... More on Barking Cough »
- Common cold (if dry cough, and usually if extended affliction)
- Croup (viral croup; spasmodic croup) ...
Differential Diagnosis of Barking Cough
Diphtheria: If you or your child has diphtheria, the symptoms will be:
- bark-like cough.
Causes List for Barking Cough
Possible causes of Barking Cough (or similar symptoms) may include:2
- Common Cold (Barking Cough)
- Croup (barking cough, causes of barking cough)
- Epiglottitis (Barking Cough)
- Foreign Body Aspiration (Barking Cough)
- Spasmodic croup (Barking Cough)
- Throat Disorders (barking cough)
- Viral croup (Barking Cough)
- Whooping Cough (Barking Cough)
• • •
- Source: New Zealand Health: health.govt.nz/ your-health/ conditions-and-treatments/ diseases-and-illnesses/ diphtheria
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.