An ankle sprain is the most common athletic injury. A sprain is an injury to a ligament, one of the bands of tough, fibrous tissue that connects two or more bones at a joint and prevents excessive movement of the joint.
...Source: NIAMS (NIH)1
... More on Ankle sprain »
Causes of Ankle sprain
The ankle joint is supported by several lateral (outside) ligaments and medial (inside) ligaments (see fig. 1). Most ankle sprains happen when the foot turns inward as a person runs, turns, falls, or lands on the ankle after a jump
... More Causes of Ankle sprain »
Differential Diagnosis of Ankle sprain
Broken ankle: It can be hard to tell the difference between a minor break and a sprain. It's best to assume it's a fracture until it has been checked by a doctor or nurse.
...Source: NHS Choices UK3
... Diagnosis of Ankle sprain »
Causes List for Ankle sprain
Possible causes of Ankle sprain (or similar symptoms) may include:4
- Ankle Disorders (Ankle sprains)
- Ankle injury (Ankle sprains)
- Falls (Ankle sprains)
- Trip Falls (ankle sprain)
• • •
- Source: NIAMS (NIH): niams.nih.gov/ Health_Info/ Sports_Injuries/ child_sports_injuries.asp
- Source: NIAMS (NIH): niams.nih.gov/ Health_Info/ Sprains_Strains/ default.asp
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ broken-ankle/
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.