Anal itch, or pruritus ani, can be caused by a variety of anorectal conditions. Minor skin irritation may occur to the anorectal region such as from minor skin damage, skin reactions, and possibly exacerbated by diarrhea or sweating. Hemorrhoids are a common anorectal disorder causing itching, and other possibilities include
... More on Anal itch »
• • •
Causes of anal itch (or anorectal itch) include:
Anal Skin Conditions: Various afflictions of the skin in the anal region may cause itching, such as:
- Minor anal injury (e.g. anal ...
Causes of Anal itch
An itchy bottom that's worse at night is often caused by threadworms, especially in children.
Children under 2, and pregnant and breastfeeding women, can't usually take medicine for threadworms - see your GP, midwife or health visitor instead.
...Source: NHS Choices UK
... More Causes of Anal itch »
Diagnosis of Anal itch
What happens at your appointment: A GP will try to work out the cause of your itching. They might need to check your bottom (rectal examination). Depending on the cause, the GP might:
- suggest trying things to ease it yourself ...
Causes List for Anal itch
Possible causes of Anal itch (or similar symptoms) may include:3
- Anal Canal Adenocarcinoma (anal pruritus)
- Anal Cancer (Anal itching)
- Anal Disorders (anal itch)
- Anal Fissure (Anal itch, cause anal itching)
- Anal Squamous Cell Carcinoma (anal pruritus)
- Anal injury (Anal itch)
- Anorectal Disorders (anal itch)
- Blastocystis (anal itching)
- Candidiasis (Anal itch) ...
Treatments for Anal itch
How to ease an itchy bottom yourself Do
- gently wash and dry your anus after pooing and before bed
- wear loose-fitting cotton underwear
- keep cool - avoid clothing and bedding that makes you overheat
- have cooler, shorter showers or baths ...
• • •
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ itchy-anus/
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.