A stroke is a medical emergency. There are two types - ischemic and hemorrhagic. Ischemic stroke is the most common type. It is usually caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain. This keeps
... More on Ischemic stroke »
Symptoms of Ischemic stroke
Signs of ischemic stroke include sudden weakness on one side of your body and trouble talking, walking, seeing or thinking.
About 1 in 5 strokes is caused by bleeding in the brain. A common symptom in some types of hemorrhagic stroke
... More Symptoms of Ischemic stroke »
Causes of Ischemic stroke
Ischemic Stroke and Transient Ischemic Attack:
An ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) occurs if an artery that supplies oxygen-rich blood to the brain becomes blocked. Many medical conditions can increase the risk of ischemic stroke or TIA
... More Causes of Ischemic stroke »
Causes List for Ischemic stroke
Some possible causes of Ischemic stroke or similar disorders may include:4
- Amyloidogenic transthyretin amyloidosis (Stroke-like episodes)
- Amyloidosis, Hereditary, Transthyretin-Related (Stroke-like episode)
- Aneurysm or dilatation of ascending aorta (Ischemic stroke, Transient ischemic attack)
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome ...
Types of Ischemic stroke
Blood clots can cause ischemia and infarction in two ways. A clot that forms in a part of the body other than the brain can travel through blood vessels and become wedged in a brain artery. This free-roaming clot
... More Types of Ischemic stroke »
Treatments: Ischemic stroke
For ischemic strokes, drug therapy must begin as soon as possible to dissolve the obstructing clot, return blood flow, and reduce permanent disability. Minutes count!
...Source: MedLinePlus Magazine (NIH)6
... More Treatment Information for Ischemic stroke »
Names and Terminology
- Source: MedLinePlus (NIH): medlineplus.gov/ ischemicstroke.html
- Source: NIH News in Health (NIH): newsinhealth.nih.gov/ issue/ may2010/ feature2
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ stroke/ causes
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NINDS (NIH): ninds.nih.gov/ disorders/ stroke/ detail_stroke.htm
- Source: MedLinePlus Magazine (NIH): medlineplus.gov/ magazine/ issues/ spring13/ articles/ spring13pg2-3.html
- Source: GTR (NCBI/NIH): ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ gtr/ conditions/ C0948008/
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.