Hemorrhagic (prounounced hem-uh-RAJ-ik) stroke occurs when an artery bursts and spills blood into part of the brain. In a healthy brain, the blood remains in the arteries and does not come into contact with neurons. When blood
... More on Hemorrhagic strokes »
Symptoms of Hemorrhagic strokes
About 1 in 5 strokes is caused by bleeding in the brain. A common symptom in some types of hemorrhagic stroke is a very sudden and extremely painful headache.
...Source: NIH News in Health (NIH)2
... More Symptoms of Hemorrhagic strokes »
Complications of Hemorrhagic strokes
If you have a subarachnoid haemorrhage, there's also a risk of developing further problems.
Some of the main complications are described below.
...Source: NHS Choices UK3
... More on Complications of Hemorrhagic strokes »
Causes of Hemorrhagic strokes
Sudden bleeding in the brain can cause a hemorrhagic stroke. The bleeding causes swelling of the brain and increased pressure in the skull. The swelling and pressure damage brain cells and tissues.
Examples of conditions that can cause a hemorrhagic
... More Causes of Hemorrhagic strokes »
Causes List for Hemorrhagic strokes
Some possible causes of Hemorrhagic strokes or similar disorders may include:5
- Arteriovenous malformations (hemorrhagic stroke, hemorrhagic strokes)
- Brain Aneurysm (hemorrhagic stroke)
- Cavernoma (haemorrhagic stroke)
- Cavernous angioma (haemorrhagic stroke)
- Cavernous hemangioma (haemorrhagic stroke)
- Cerebral arteriosclerosis (hemorrhagic stroke) ...
Types of Hemorrhagic strokes
Bleeding from ruptured brain arteries can either go into the substance of the brain or into the various spaces surrounding the brain. Intracerebral hemorrhage occurs when a vessel within the brain leaks blood into the brain itself. Subarachnoid hemorrhage is
... More Types of Hemorrhagic strokes »
Diagnosis of Hemorrhagic strokes
A person with a suspected subarachnoid haemorrhage needs a CT scan in hospital to check for signs of bleeding around the brain.
...Source: NHS Choices UK7
... More on Diagnosis of Hemorrhagic strokes »
Treatments: Hemorrhagic strokes
In instances of hemorrhagic strokes, where blood just explodes around the surface of the brain, there has to be emergency treatment to prevent devastating brain damage.
...Source: MedLinePlus Magazine (NIH)8
... More Treatment Information for Hemorrhagic strokes »
• • •
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ stroke/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ default.aspx
- Source: NIH News in Health (NIH): newsinhealth.nih.gov/ issue/ may2010/ feature2
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ subarachnoid-haemorrhage/ complications/
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ stroke/ causes
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NINDS (NIH): ninds.nih.gov/ disorders/ stroke/ detail_stroke.htm
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ Subarachnoid-haemorrhage/
- Source: MedLinePlus Magazine (NIH): medlineplus.gov/ magazine/ issues/ spring13/ articles/ spring13pg2-3.html
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.