Preeclampsia (pree-i-KLAMP-see-uh) and eclampsia (ih-KLAMP-see-uh) are disorders of high blood pressure that occur during pregnancy. Because of the mother's high blood pressure, in preeclampsia the blood supply to the growing fetus is reduced
... More on Eclampsia »
Symptoms of Eclampsia
- Severe headache
- Vision problems, such as temporary blindness
- Abdominal pain, especially in the upper right area of the belly
- Nausea and vomiting
- Smaller urine output ...
Complications of Eclampsia
What are the risks of preeclampsia & eclampsia to the mother?
Risks During Pregnancy
Preeclampsia during pregnancy is mild in 75% of cases.1 However, a woman can progress from mild to severe preeclampsia or full eclampsia very quickly?even in
... More on Complications of Eclampsia »
Causes of Eclampsia
What causes preeclampsia and eclampsia?
The causes of preeclampsia and eclampsia are not known. These disorders previously were believed to be caused by a toxin in the blood (referred to as toxemia), but health care providers now know that is
... More Causes of Eclampsia »
Causes List for Eclampsia
Some possible causes of Eclampsia or similar disorders may include:4
- Antiphospholipid Antibody Syndrome (eclampsia, preeclampsia)
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome (preeclampsia, pre-eclampsia)
- Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (preeclampsia)
- Eating Disorders (Preeclampsia)
- Eclampsia (preeclampsia, severe preeclampsia, uncomplicated preeclampsia) ...
Diagnosis of Eclampsia
- Blood tests to see how well the mother's liver and kidneys are working
- Blood ...
Eclampsia—the onset of seizures in a woman with preeclampsia—is considered a medical emergency. Immediate treatment, usually in a hospital, is needed to stop the mother’s seizures; treat blood pressure levels that are too high; and deliver the
... More Treatment Information for Eclampsia »
Research for Eclampsia
Preeclampsia and Eclampsia: NICHD Research Information:
The NICHD and the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute are major supporters of preeclampsia and eclampsia research. The NICHD has been conducting and supporting research on preeclampsia for decades, trying to zero in
... More on Research for Eclampsia »
• • •
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ preeclampsia/ Pages/ default.aspx
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ preeclampsia/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ risk-mother.aspx
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ preeclampsia/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ causes.aspx
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ preeclampsia/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ treatments.aspx
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ preeclampsia/ researchinfo/ Pages/ default.aspx
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.