Developmental disabilities are severe, long-term problems. They may be physical, such as blindness. They may affect mental ability, such as learning disorders. Or the problem can be both physical and mental, such as Down syndrome. The problems are usually
... More on Developmental Delay »
Specific Causes of Developmental Delay
Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: FASD is considered internationally to be the leading preventable cause of intellectual and developmental problems
...Source: New Zealand Health2
... Causes of Developmental Delay »
Causes List for Developmental Delay
Some possible causes of Developmental Delay or similar disorders may include:3
- AIDS (developmental delays)
- Absence of septum pellucidum (learning disabilities)
- Achondroplasia, Severe, With Developmental Delay And Acanthosis Nigricans (Developmental Delay)
- Acidemia (delayed development)
- Acrodysostosis (Developmental delays) ...
Types of Developmental Delay
Some types of this condition may include:4 Types of Developmental Delay:
- Motor Developmental Delay
Diagnosis of Developmental Delay
What should I do if my child’s speech or language appears to be delayed?
Talk to your child’s doctor if you have any concerns. Your doctor may refer you to a speech-language pathologist, who is a health
... More on Diagnosis of Developmental Delay »
Research for Developmental Delay
What research is being conducted on developmental speech and language problems?
The National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD) sponsors a broad range of research to better understand the development of speech and language disorders, improve diagnostic capabilities
... More on Research for Developmental Delay »
• • •
- Source: MedLinePlus (NIH): medlineplus.gov/ developmentaldisabilities.html
- Source: New Zealand Health: health.govt.nz/ your-health/ conditions-and-treatments/ disabilities/ fetal-alcohol-spectrum-disorder-fasd
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NCI Thesaurus
- Source: NIDCD (NIH): nidcd.nih.gov/ health/ speech-and-language
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.