Chronic infections usually develop from acute infections and can last for days to months to a lifetime. Sometimes people are unaware they are infected but still may be able to transmit the germ to others. For example, hepatitis C, which
... More on Chronic disorders »
Symptoms of Chronic disorders
A disease is defined as a physical or mental disturbance involving symptoms (such as pain or feeling unwell), dysfunction or tissue damage that may lead to ill health. Diseases can be acute (coming on sharply, often brief, intense and/or
... More Symptoms of Chronic disorders »
Complications of Chronic disorders
It is now widely accepted that health is much more than the presence or absence of disease—it reflects genetic, lifestyle and environmental factors; cultural influences; socioeconomic conditions; and the availability and quality of health care programs and services.
... More on Complications of Chronic disorders »
Causes of Chronic disorders
Influence of the environment
Very few health conditions are only caused by genes - most are caused by the combination of genes and environmental factors. Environmental factors include lifestyle factors, such as diet and exercise.
Around a dozen or so genes
... More Causes of Chronic disorders »
Causes List for Chronic disorders
Some possible causes of Chronic disorders or similar disorders may include:5
- Arthritis (chronic disease, chronic diseases)
- Cancer (chronic illnesses)
- Caregiver stress (chronic diseases)
- Child abuse (Chronic diseases)
- Chronic Q Fever (chronic disease)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease ...
Types of Chronic disorders
8 major groups: arthritis, asthma, back pain, cancer, cardiovascular disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, diabetes and mental health conditions.
...Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare6
... More Types of Chronic disorders »
Risk Factors for Chronic disorders
Biomedical risk factors include:
Prevention of Chronic disorders
Tackling four major risk behaviours - smoking, alcohol abuse, unhealthy diet, sedentary lifestyle - can help prevent many chronic diseases. But to be effective, such efforts need to be based on targeted health promotion, prevention and early detection.
...Source: EC (EU)8
... Prevention of Chronic disorders »
• • •
- Source: NIAID (NIH): niaid.nih.gov/ topics/ microbes/ Pages/ infections.aspx
- Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: aihw.gov.au/ reports-statistics/ health-conditions-disability-deaths/ chronic-disease/ about
- Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: aihw.gov.au/ reports-statistics/ health-welfare-overview/ australias-health/ about
- Source: NHS Choices UK: nhs.uk/ conditions/ genetics/ inheritance/
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: aihw.gov.au/ reports-statistics/ health-conditions-disability-deaths/ chronic-disease/ overview
- Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare: aihw.gov.au/ reports-statistics/ behaviours-risk-factors/ biomedical-risk-factors/ about
- Source: EC (EU): ec.europa.eu/ health/ major_chronic_diseases/ policy_en
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.