Birth defects are structural changes present at birth that can affect almost any part or parts of the body (e.g., heart, brain, foot). They may affect how the body looks, works, or both. Birth defects can vary from mild
... More on Birth Defects »
Causes of Birth Defects
What causes birth defects? Different birth defects have different causes. A specific condition might be caused by one or more of the following problems:More Causes of Birth Defects »
Causes List for Birth Defects
Some possible causes of Birth Defects or similar disorders may include:2
- ADULT syndrome (Cleft lip)
- Aarskog syndrome, autosomal dominant (Cleft lip, Cleft palate)
- Aarskog syndrome (Cleft palate)
- Aarskog-Scott syndrome (Cleft palate)
- Aase syndrome (Cleft palate) ...
Types of Birth Defects
What are the types of birth defects? There are two main categories of birth defects. Structural Birth Defects Structural birth defects are related to a problem with body parts and structure. These can include:More Types of Birth Defects »
Diagnosis of Birth Defects
How do health care providers diagnose birth defects?
Diagnosis of birth defects depends on the specific problem and parts of the body affected. For example, although their causes might not be easily detectable, structural birth defects such as clubfoot and
... More on Diagnosis of Birth Defects »
Risk Factors for Birth Defects
- Lack of folic acid. Women who are ...
Treatments: Birth Defects
What are the treatments for birth defects?
Because the symptoms and problems caused by birth defects vary, treatments for birth defects also vary. Treatments range from medications, to therapies, to surgeries, to assistive devices.
For example, in the Management of
... More Treatment Information for Birth Defects »
Prevention of Birth Defects
Did You Know?
Women can take steps before and during pregnancy to reduce the risk of having a baby born with birth defects. Such steps include taking a daily multivitamin with folic acid (400 micrograms), not smoking, and not drinking alcohol
... Prevention of Birth Defects »
Research for Birth Defects
The NICHD’s history is rooted in its aim to understand, to prevent, and to ameliorate a range of birth defects, from structural birth defects, such as NTDs, to IDDs.
Institute research has made critical discoveries about various birth defects
... More on Research for Birth Defects »
Names and Terminology
The NICHD is aware that the term "birth defects" carries negative undertones and that the term does not reflect the many abilities and talents of
... More General Information on Birth Defects »
• • •
- Source: CDC NCBDDD: cdc.gov/ ncbddd/ birthdefects/ index.html
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ birthdefects/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ diagnosed.aspx
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ birthdefects/ conditioninfo/ Pages/ treatment.aspx
- Source: CDC NCBDDD: cdc.gov/ ncbddd/ heartdefects/ hlhs.html
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ birthdefects/ researchinfo/ pages/ goals.aspx
- Source: NICHD (NIH): nichd.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ birthdefects/ researchinfo/ Pages/ default.aspx
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.