What Is Atelectasis?
Atelectasis (at-uh-LEK-tuh-sis) is a condition in which one or more areas of your lungs collapse or don't inflate properly. If only a small area or a few small areas of the lungs are
... More on Atelectasis »
Symptoms of Atelectasis
If only a small area or a few small areas of the lungs are affected, you may have no signs or symptoms.
If a large area or several large areas of the lungs are affected, they may not be able
... More Symptoms of Atelectasis »
Causes of Atelectasis
To understand atelectasis, it helps to understand how the lungs work. Your lungs are organs in your chest that allow your body to take in oxygen from the air. They also help remove carbon dioxide (a waste gas that can
... More Causes of Atelectasis »
Causes List for Atelectasis
Some possible causes of Atelectasis or similar disorders may include:4
- Autosomal dominant hyper-IgE syndrome (Atelectasis)
- Autosomal recessive cutis laxa type 1 (Atelectasis)
- Bronchiectasis (atelectasis)
- Ciliary dyskinesia, primary, type 20 (Atelectasis)
- Ciliary dyskinesia, primary, type 21 ...
Types of Atelectasis
Some types of this condition may include:5 Types of atelectasis:
- CTCAE Grade 1 Atelectasis
- CTCAE Grade 2 Atelectasis
- CTCAE Grade 3 Atelectasis
- CTCAE Grade 4 Atelectasis
- CTCAE Grade 5 Atelectasis
Diagnosis of Atelectasis
How Is Atelectasis Diagnosed?
Your doctor will diagnose atelectasis based on your signs and symptoms and the results from tests and procedures. Atelectasis might be detected as a result of a chest x ray done for an underlying lung condition
... More on Diagnosis of Atelectasis »
Risk Factors for Atelectasis
Who Is at Risk for Atelectasis? You might be at risk for atelectasis if you can't take deep breaths or cough, or if you have an airway blockage. Conditions that can increase your risk for atelectasis include:
- Surgery in which ...
How Is Atelectasis Treated?
The main goals of treating atelectasis are to treat the cause of the condition and to reexpand the collapsed lung tissue. Treatment may vary based on the underlying cause of the atelectasis.
Atelectasis Caused by Surgery
... More Treatment Information for Atelectasis »
Prevention of Atelectasis
How Can Atelectasis Be Prevented?
Not smoking before surgery can lower your risk of atelectasis. If you smoke, ask your doctor how far in advance of your surgery you should quit smoking.
After surgery, your doctor may recommend that you
... Prevention of Atelectasis »
Names and Terminology
Other Names for Atelectasis
- Closed lung
- Partial lung collapse
Source: NHLBI (NIH)9
... More General Information on Atelectasis »
• • •
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ atl
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NCI Thesaurus
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ atl/ diagnosis
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ atl/ treatment
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ atl/ prevention
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ atl/ names
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.