Misdiagnosis of Asthma
Undiagnosed Asthma: Asthma is not always diagnosed immediately. Other respiratory conditions may be detected and treated, with the underlying asthma not discovered until later.
Other Respiratory Diseases: An asthma diagnosis needs to be considered against other respiratory illnesses. There is also the possibility of having infectious respiratory diseases while also having asthma. Indeed, viral infections can often trigger an asthma attack.
Associated Allergic Diseases: Asthma has an allergic basis, and there are other allergic disorders that are more common in asthmatics. Some of these conditions include:
Complications of Asthma: Ongoing monitoring for the complications of asthma is important. The primary concern is the early detection and treatment of an Asthma Attack.
• • •
Back to: « Asthma
Misdiagnosis of Asthma
AAT Deficiency: At first, many people who have AAT deficiency are diagnosed with asthma. This is because wheezing also is a symptom of asthma. Also, people who have AAT deficiency respond well to asthma medicines.
Source: NHLBI (NIH)1
Related Misdiagnosis Issues
Complex diagnosis issues or misdiagnosis may occur with conditions such as:
- Allergies Misdiagnosis
- Sinusitis Misdiagnosis
- Bronchitis Misdiagnosis
- Allergic Rhinitis Misdiagnosis
- Depression Misdiagnosis
- Pregnancy Misdiagnosis
- Flu Misdiagnosis
- Croup Misdiagnosis
- Inflammatory disorders Misdiagnosis
- Common Cold Misdiagnosis
- Pneumonia Misdiagnosis
- Heart Disease Misdiagnosis
- Allergies: Allergies can be undiagnosed or in some cases can be misdiagnosed as another disorder.
Undiagnosed Allergies: Not everyone is aware
... More on Allergies »
- Sinusitis: Undiagnosed sinusitis: The most likely misdiagnosis is that sinusitis is not diagnosed properly, or is not diagnosed early. Sometimes it
... More on Sinusitis »
- Bronchitis: Acute bronchitis: Diagnosis of acute bronchitis requires the consideration of a number of other respiratory infections. Some of the possibilities
... More on Bronchitis »
- Allergic Rhinitis: Undiagnosed allergic rhinitis: This condition may be undiagnosed early, or be misdiagnosed as something more well-known, such as the
... More on Allergic Rhinitis »
- Depression: Depression is a disorder that poses a number of diagnostic challenges. There are a variety of types of depression ranging
... More on Depression »
- Pregnancy: The management of pregnancy is a major medical issue and there are various diagnostic concerns. See your doctor for the
... More on Pregnancy »
- Flu: Undiagnosed flu: Influenza is often undiagnosed, because it is misdiagnosed by the patient as something milder, such as the common
... More on Flu »
- Croup: The classic symptom of croup is known as a “barking cough”. However, a barking cough can be caused by a
... More on Croup »
- Inflammatory disorders: A number of systemic inflammatory disorders present a diagnostic challenge. Symptoms can be complex to diagnose and variable for diseases
... More on Inflammatory disorders »
- Common Cold: Undiagnosed: The symptoms of common cold are all too well-known to doctors and parents. A common cold is rarely
... More on Common Cold »
• • •
- Source: NHLBI (NIH): nhlbi.nih.gov/ health/ health-topics/ topics/ aat/ signs
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.