Misdiagnosis of Allergies
Allergies can be undiagnosed or in some cases can be misdiagnosed as another disorder.
Undiagnosed Allergies: Not everyone is aware initially of their allergies. Children may have undiagnosed allergies which are only detected on the first exposure to an allergen (e.g. bee stings, peanut allergies). In some cases, the allergy to a substance may build up over time with multiple exposures gradually leading to allergies.
Misdiagnosed Airborne Allergies: Sometimes pollen allergies or other types of allergic rhinitis can be initially diagnosed as another respiratory disorder. And the reverse is also possible. There are numerous possible causes of a runny nose, watery eyes, and similar symptoms. Allergies need to be carefully considered, but so too do a variety of infectious respiratory infections.
Misdiagnosed Food Allergies: The allergic reaction to foods is not always correctly diagnosed. And in some cases, it may actually be a non-allergy disorder such as a food intolerance, hypersensitivity reaction, or other food-related disorder (e.g. celiac disease).
• • •
Back to: « Allergies
Related Misdiagnosis Issues
Complex diagnosis issues or misdiagnosis may occur with conditions such as:
- Allergic Rhinitis Misdiagnosis
- Asthma Misdiagnosis
- Gastrointestinal Disorders Misdiagnosis
- Sinusitis Misdiagnosis
- Middle Ear Infection Misdiagnosis
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome Misdiagnosis
- Palpitations Misdiagnosis
- Flu Misdiagnosis
- Common Cold Misdiagnosis
- Allergic Rhinitis: Undiagnosed allergic rhinitis: This condition may be undiagnosed early, or be misdiagnosed as something more well-known, such as the
... More on Allergic Rhinitis »
- Asthma: Undiagnosed Asthma: Asthma is not always diagnosed immediately. Other respiratory conditions may be detected and treated, with the underlying asthma
... More on Asthma »
- Gastrointestinal Disorders: Gastrointestinal disorders cover a huge range of medical conditions and misdiagnosis is always possible. Some of the acute digestive conditions
... More on Gastrointestinal Disorders »
- Sinusitis: Undiagnosed sinusitis: The most likely misdiagnosis is that sinusitis is not diagnosed properly, or is not diagnosed early. Sometimes it
... More on Sinusitis »
- Middle Ear Infection: Undiagnosed Ear Infection: A middle ear infection is often diagnosed late, because the person typically already has a respiratory infection
... More on Middle Ear Infection »
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Chronic Digestive Disorders: IBS is a chronic digestive disorder with a difficult diagnosis. Various other digestive disorders needs to be
... More on Irritable Bowel Syndrome »
- Palpitations: Just Your Heartbeat? Most people are unaware of their heartbeat as they go about their everyday lives. If something causes
... More on Palpitations »
- Flu: Undiagnosed flu: Influenza is often undiagnosed, because it is misdiagnosed by the patient as something milder, such as the common cold
... More on Flu »
- Common Cold: Undiagnosed: The symptoms of common cold are all too well-known to doctors and parents. A common cold is rarely
... More on Common Cold »
- Rash: There are many possible causes of rash. Uncommon causes are more likely to be overlooked or misdiagnosed. Some of the
... More on Rash »
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.