Misdiagnosis of ADHD
Learning disabilities: “ADHD can be confused with a learning problem,” Vitiello says. ADHD makes it difficult for a child to pay attention, stay focused, organize information, and finish tasks. This can interfere with schoolwork, home life, and friendships. But ADHD is not considered a learning disability. It requires its own treatments, which may include behavior therapy and medications.
Source: NIH News in Health (NIH)1
• • •
Back to: « ADHD
Symptoms of ADHD can be mistaken for emotional or disciplinary problems or missed entirely in quiet, well-behaved children, leading to a delay in diagnosis. Adults with undiagnosed ADHD may have a history of poor academic performance, problems at work, or difficult or failed relationships.
Source: NIMH (NIH)2
Related Misdiagnosis Issues
Complex diagnosis issues or misdiagnosis may occur with conditions such as:
- Pregnancy Misdiagnosis
- Heart Disease Misdiagnosis
- Depression Misdiagnosis
- Psychiatric Disorders Misdiagnosis
- Learning Disorders Misdiagnosis
- Pregnancy: The management of pregnancy is a major medical issue and there are various diagnostic concerns. See your doctor for the
... More on Pregnancy »
- Heart Disease: There are various types of heart disease that can have a problematic diagnosis. Some types of heart disease related risk
... More on Heart Disease »
- Depression: Depression is a disorder that poses a number of diagnostic challenges. There are a variety of types of depression ranging
... More on Depression »
- Psychiatric Disorders: There are a number of psychiatric disorders where diagnosis is difficult. Some disorders may be overlooked or misdiagnosed for some
... More on Psychiatric Disorders »
- Learning Disorders: Misdiagnosed Learning Disorders: There are various different types of learning disorders to consider:
....Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
... More on Learning Disorders »
- Sleeping Difficulty: There are a variety of misdiagnosed disorders in relation to insomnia.
....Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This is an insidious disease that
... More on Sleeping Difficulty »
• • •
- Source: NIH News in Health (NIH): newsinhealth.nih.gov/ issue/ sep2016/ feature1
- Source: NIMH (NIH): nimh.nih.gov/ health/ topics/ attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder-adhd/ index.shtml
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.