Acute appendicitis is an infection of the appendix, which is a small appendage inside the digestive system. The main symptom of appendicitis is abdominal pain. The pain may start at the navel (belly button) and then later move to the lower right area of the abdomen. The pain may also
... More on Acute Appendicitis »
• • •
Back to: « Appendicitis
Symptoms of Acute Appendicitis
- begins near your belly button and then moves lower ...
Complications: Acute Appendicitis
The main complications of acute appendicitis can include:
- Ruptured appendix
- Peritonitis. This results from the rupturing of the appendix, and can be fatal.
- Abscess (at the appendix location)
Complications of Acute Appendicitis
- peritonitis, which can be a dangerous condition. Peritonitis happens if your appendix bursts and infection spreads in ...
Causes of Acute Appendicitis
What causes appendicitis? Appendicitis can have more than one cause, and in many cases the cause is not clear. Possible causes include:
- Blockage of the opening inside the appendix
- enlarged tissue in the wall of your appendix, caused by infection ...
Causes List for Acute Appendicitis
Some possible causes of Acute Appendicitis or similar disorders may include:1
- Adenocarcinoma of the appendix (acute appendicitis)
- Campylobacteriosis (acute appendicitis)
- Goblet cell carcinoid (acute appendicitis)
Types of Acute Appendicitis
Some types of this condition may include:2 Types of Acute Appendicitis:
- Acute Perforated Appendicitis
Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis
How do doctors diagnose appendicitis?
Most often, health care professionals suspect the diagnosis of appendicitis based on your symptoms, your medical history, and a physical exam. A doctor can confirm the diagnosis with an ultrasound, x-ray, or MRI
... More on Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis »
Treatments: Acute Appendicitis
How do doctors treat appendicitis?
Doctors typically treat appendicitis with surgery to remove the appendix. Surgeons perform the surgery in a hospital with general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend surgery if you have continuous abdominal pain and fever, or
... More Treatment Information for Acute Appendicitis »
Prevention of Acute Appendicitis
Eating, Diet, & Nutrition
How can your diet help prevent or relieve appendicitis?
Researchers have not found that eating, diet, and nutrition cause or prevent appendicitis.?
...Source: NIDDK (NIH)5
... Prevention of Acute Appendicitis »
Similar Topic Articles
• • •
- Source: Algorithmically Generated List
- Source: NCI Thesaurus
- Source: NIDDK (NIH): niddk.nih.gov/ health-information/ digestive-diseases/ appendicitis/ all-content
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.