Bones feel solid, but the inside of a bone is actually filled with holes like a honeycomb. Bone tissues are broken down and rebuilt all the time. While some cells build new bone tissue, others dissolve bone and release the minerals inside.
Source: NIH News in Health (NIH)1
• • •
Bone is a living tissue that supports our muscles, protects vital internal organs, and stores most of the body’s calcium. It consists mainly of a framework of tough, elastic fibers of a protein called collagen and crystals of calcium phosphate mineral that harden and strengthen the framework. The combination of collagen and calcium phosphate makes bones strong yet flexible to hold up under stress.
Bone also contains living cells, including some that nourish the tissue and others that control the process known as bone remodeling. Throughout life, our bones are constantly being renewed by means of this remodeling process, in which old bone is removed (bone resorption) and replaced by new bone (bone formation). Bone remodeling is carried out through the coordinated actions of bone-removing cells called osteoclasts and bone-forming cells called osteoblasts.
Source: NIAMS (NIH)2
What you know about your bones
Bone is a living, growing tissue. It is made mostly of two materials: collagen (KOL-uh-juhn), a protein that provides a soft framework, and calcium (KAL-see-uhm), a mineral that adds strength and hardness. This combination makes bone strong and flexible enough to hold up under stress.
Bone releases calcium and other minerals into the body when you need them for other uses.
Source: NIAMS (NIH)3
• • •
Bone adverse event: A musculoskeletal system adverse event that occurs in the bone4
Types may include:5
Types of Bone:
Read about these related anatomy topics:
- Bone tissue
- Long bones
- Pelvic bones
- Short bones
Read about these related symptoms:
- Injury: An injury is damage to your body. It is a general term that refers to harm caused by accidents, falls, hits, weapons, and more. In the U.S., millions of6
... More on Injury »
Disease and Condition Articles
Read about these related conditions and diseases:
- Stress: Stress is the general condition of emotional or physical stress. This condition can have real physical effects on the body that can be chronic and serious. Various theories of longevity
... More on Stress »
Related Symptom Topics
Read more about these related symptoms:More »
Related Disease and Condition Topics
Read about these diseases and medical conditions related to Bone:More »
• • •
- Source: NIH News in Health (NIH): newsinhealth.nih.gov/ issue/ jan2015/ feature1
- Source: NIAMS (NIH): niams.nih.gov/ Health_Info/ Osteoporosis/ default.asp
- Source: NIAMS (NIH): niams.nih.gov/ Health_Info/ Kids/ healthy_bones.asp
- Source: OAE Ontology
- Source: NCI Thesaurus
- Source: MedLinePlus (NIH): medlineplus.gov/ woundsandinjuries.html
• • •
Note: This site is for informational purposes only and is not medical advice. See your doctor or other qualified medical professional for all your medical needs.